Regrettably, a third of the women in the world are sexually assaulted, and others are assaulted in other forms of violence like a mugging. Therefore, protecting or defending yourself is very important, especially in the world that we are living in today. For that reason, it is important that women carry a self-defense weapon. There are a couple of self-defense weapons out there, but we will specifically look at the best self-defense knife for a woman in this article.
What are the purposes of a Self Defense Knife?
Self-defense knives will defiantly add protection and boost your confidence in defending yourself. Fortunately, pocket knives usually have an extremely sharp blade and easily slice into human or animal flesh. Knives can be a bit scary for most women, but trust me, they are incredibly practical.
The best self-defense knives are more effective than most other defense items. The best part is that a defense blade is incredibly versatile and ideal for women and men. Furthermore, they are multi-purpose, and you can use them to open hard clamshells, cut cloth tags or strings and even peel an apple.
Now that we have looked at some of the main purposes of having a defense knife, we have analyzed the best self-defense knife for a woman that you could carry as your self-defense weapon.
What is a good self defense knife for a woman?
Buy on Amazon
1. Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops SWA24S 7.1in S.S. Folding Knife
- Dimensions: 7.1 Inch (18 Cm) Overall Length With A Blade Length Of 3.1 Inches (7.9 Cm) And A Weight Of 3.5 Ounces
- Durable: Blade Is Made Of Reliable 7Cr17Mov Black Oxide High Carbon Stainless Steel With A Black, Aluminum Handle
- Dependable: Quick And Easy Access With The Convenient Pocket Clip, Finger Flipper And Ambidextrous Thumb Knobs Making It Ideal For Everyday Carry
- Secure: Have Confidence That The Blade Will Not Slip With The Security Of The Liner Lock
- Be Prepared: Knife Features Jimping And Serrations
Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops Liner Lock Folding Knives are the best sellers in tactical knives. These defense items are constructed using a black high carbon stainless steel blade with a serrated clip point that makes the knife razor-sharp. It weighs around 3.5 ounces, the blade length is around 7.9 cm or 3.1 inches, and its overall length is 18 cm or 7.1 inches.
The Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops Liner Lock Folding Knife also has a comfortable grip since it has a handle featuring textures material and finger intentions. It also comes with a convenient handheld size and shape, making it super convenient and comfortable to carry around in your pocket.
This self-defense weapon has a thumb stud that allows fast and easy opening, making it a reliable knife. Moreover, the knife is constructed with durable material for both the blade and the handle.
2. KA-BAR TDI Law Enforcement Knife Fixed Blade
- Complete length- 5 5/8 inches, Blade length- 2 5/16 inches
- Drop point edge
- Blade quality- AUS-8A stainless steel blade
- Hardness of steel- 57-59 HRC
- Includes a black handle and sheath
Another perfect option is the KA-BAR TDI Law Enforcement Knife Fixed Blade. This knife has an overall length of 55/8 inches, a blade length of 25/16 inches and weighs around 0.6 pounds. The knives are designed to act as backups for handguns.
The KA-BAR TDI Law Enforcement Knives come with fixed blades and a modified karambit shape that makes them super effective. In addition, they are designed to provide a comfortable forward grip and have a pant belt that holds the entire knife and shield, offering concealed carry.
The knife has a nonreflective black-coated drop point blade that is incredibly sharp. The best part is using this knife as a utility knife. More so, it has a solid design and construction, but it is abt more expensive than most other self-defense items in this category.
3. Spyderco Tenacious Folding Utility Pocket Knife
- Game Changer - Being tenacious means you are persistent and cohesive. It's being tough and tireless in achieving your best performance; all worthy descriptive words for a hard-use knife
- Superior Blade Steel - The 3.39" 8Cr13MoV stainless blade is coated in a non-reflective black coating and ground-flat from spine to cutting-edge for non-stop cutting.
- A Secure Grip - It has a black G-10 laminate handle, Ergonomically milled with prolonged fatigue-free cutting in mind.
- Easy-to-Use - The blade's shape coupled with an oversized Spyderco Round Hole and textured spine jimping allows you to open the blade and position your thumb on the spine in slip-proof confidence ready for work
- Pocket-Friendly - The Tenacious includes a Walker LinerLock and a 4-way pocket clip lets the folder be set in a variety of carry and draw positions: Tip-up/tip-down left-hand/right-hand.
Spyderco Tenacious Folding Utility Pocket Knife is another perfect choice that will help you protect yourself against individuals with bad intentions or even wildlife. Being tenacious shows that you are more cohesive and can hold the knife super fast.
This defense blade is mid-sized and has G10 laminated handles that offer comfortability and a secure grip while using it. The best part is that the handles have more rigidity and strength but still do not affect the weight f the whole knife. In addition, the Superior Blade Steel on the Spyderco knives has a flat ground spine that provides non-stop cutting.
What's more, the knife is convenient and easy to use for both women and men. This best knife is also pocket-friendly and offers concealed carry. The only stumbling block is that it has a Spyderco signature Round Hole that most people find unattractive.
4. Cold Steel Luzon Series Knife with Pocket Clip
- Inspired by several balisongs in Lynn’s collection, but functioning as a flipper, the Luzons are a politically correct alternative for those who are unable to legally own balisongs
- Blades are comprised of 8Cr13MoV Stainless, and expertly hardened to 57-58 Rockwell and feature sharp, strong, points with just enough belly to make them equally useful for cutting and slashing; Blade: 6-inch
- Experience the Luzon’s bamboo-inspired handles, featuring concave segments that offer countless comfortable grip options; Handle: 7.5-inch
- Luzons are a formidable choice for those going in harm’s way; Equipped with a sturdy leaf-spring lock and a (patent-pending) secondary safety mechanism that, when it’s engaged is extremely resistant to shock and impact; Thickness: 3.5mm
Cold Steel Luzon Series Knife with Clip is another defense weapon we will look at. These knives feature a unique blade shape with a blade length of 4 inches, a blade thickness of 2.75 mm and an overall length of 9 inches.
The Cold Steel Luzon Series Knife offers excellent levels of safety, making it an ideal option for women. it also has a story leaf spring lock and a secondary safety mechanism that will prevent the blade from slipping unnecessarily. Plus, the lock mechanism is also shock and impact resistant maximizing safety.
Additionally, the blades on the knife are designed with 8Cr13MoV Stainless, making them extremely sharp and strong, making the knife very effective for performing other tasks. The only stumbling block is that it can be hard to open.
5. Gerber Paraframe Mini Knife
- Frame lock handle design
- Lightweight open stainless steel handles
- Sturdy pocket clip
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Blade material is high carbon stainless
The Gerber Paraframe Mini Knife is the ideal option if you are looking for a simple and inexpensive defense blade. This knife is known for being effective, comfortable and it is one of the best mini defense items. Although most people term it a regular knife, it will get the job done.
This women's self-defense knife features an open frame with a lock handle design. It has a small blade length of only 2.22 inches, an overall length of 5.13 inches, a closed length of 3.00 inches, and it weighs around o.4 ounces. In addition, it has a fine-edge blade constructed with high-quality High carbon stainless that makes it more sturdy and durable.
This knife is not only perfect for self-defense, but it can also be an ideal option if you want a knife that can be used for multiple purposes. For example, it can be used for hunting, industrial, and a most outdoor situation like camping.
Factors To Consider When Purchasing the Best Self Defense Knife For a Woman
1. Legal notes
While purchasing any self-defense tool, it is necessary to know the state laws of our area. For example, you will find that some states will allow you to carry a knife, but some will not, and a knife is considered a deadly weapon. Then each state has different laws from the other, making it very necessary to know the laws of your state.
In other states, you are required to have a license to have a concealed knife, while others will only need a license for a firearm. Therefore it's important to be up to speed with local laws regarding purse blades.
2. Carry methods
The other important consideration to make while purchasing defensive knives. Ideally, you will be carrying the knife with you at all times, so you will need a knife that is easy to carry and is easily accessible.
In most cases, especially for women, you will find that the knife will not always work with your clothes, meaning you will need to find an attractive way to carry it. Basically, there are two main methods of caring for a defense tool: off-body carry and on the body carry.
The on-body carry method is the best way, especially if you are in very tricky situations and can't access your bag or purse. However, they are also the hardest to achieve. You could purchase a special sheath or belt clip for the foldable knives, special harnesses for knife carry. Also, you could purchase Neck knives that are worn like necklaces.
On the other hand, the off-body method is easy to achieve but not very accessible, especially in tricky situations. However, this method only requires you to put your knife in a bag or a purse, and you are good to go.
Remember that factors like blade shapes and size will affect the carrying method you choose. Plus, it would be best if you aimed to get a tip-down carry position since a tip-up carry position is considered more dangerous.
The other important factor you need to have in mind. It would be best if you got a knife that will be great at defense and help with other activities. Some of these defense tools will have extra features that can help. You will find some with lights, lasers, reflectors, and even multi-tool attachments that will come in handy. Remember, the tool's versatility will improve the functionality of the knife and its convenience.
4. Portability and Accessibility
Portability and accessibility are other important features you should look at while purchasing. It can be very hectic to have a heavy knife that you will carry with you all day long. The lighter the knife, the more accessible it will be. Plus, if the tool is light, it is much easier to use it whenever needed.
Benefits of Carrying a Knife
One of the main advantages of carrying the best self-defense knife for a woman is protection. Most of these knives are designed for everyday carry, making them super-efficient to carry around. But, as we are all aware, today's world can be somehow dangerous, especially for women. So, carrying a self-defense tool like a knife will help protect yourself in sticky situations.
2. Emergency Survival
Carrying a knife will come in handy in case of emergencies. For example, if you are in an abduction or kidnapping situation, you may need to cut a rope to sit, and the knife will help.
3. First Aid
In other cases, you may need a pocket knife for first aid. For instance, you may need to cut wrapping tourniquets and bandages while conducting some first aid procedures.
4. Fishing and Camping
While conducting some outdoor activities like fishing or camping, you may need a knife. For fishing, you will use it to remove hooks and cut lines. For camping, it is defiantly a number one requirement for making food. Additionally, it will protect you from trac-tec inserts or harmful wild animals in the wild.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Self Defense Knives
1. Why should you always carry a knife?
Carrying the best self-defense knife for a woman is a super-effective way to protect yourself. Additionally, it comes in handy to cut tap, string, open boxes or even peel or prepare fruits and vegetables during the day.
2. Is it legal to have/carry a knife on your belt?
It is very legal to carry your self-defense knife in most states, including New South Wales, South Australia and Nothern Territory. Although in other stater carrying a knife is considered dangerous and is prohibited. Therefore before you purchase a defense blade or carry it in your belt, ensure it is legal in your state.
Image credit: personaldefenseworld.com