Learn how to cut potatoes into cubes with this easy to follow guide. With just a few simple steps, you’ll be on your way to enjoying delicious potato dishes in no time!
Checkout this video:
There are many ways to cut potatoes, but one of the most versatile is to cut them into cubes. This method can be used for almost any type of potato dish, from roasted potatoes to mashed potatoes to stews and soups. And, since potatoes are such a versatile and popular ingredient, knowing how to cut them into cubes is a valuable skill for any home cook.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to cutting potatoes into cubes:
1. Start with a clean, dry potato. If the potato is wet or dirty, it will be harder to cut and the resulting cubes will be less uniform in shape.
2. Cut off each end of the potato, using a sharp knife. You don’t need to remove a lot of material, just enough so that each end is flat.
3. Cut the potato in half lengthwise. Again, use a sharp knife and try to make each cut as even as possible.
4. Slice the potato into thin pieces, again making sure each slice is relatively even in thickness. How thick you make the slices will depend on the size of the final cubes you want. For example, if you want small cubes, you should make thin slices; if you want larger cubes, you can make thicker slices. Just be consistent so that all of the pieces are about the same size.
5. Finally, cut the slices into small dice or cubes. Again, how large or small you make the dice will depend on your desired final product. For small dice or “pearls,” make thin cuts; for larger dice or “cubes,” make thicker cuts
What You’ll Need
-A sharp knife
-A cutting board
-One or more potatoes
1. Start with one or more clean, unpeeled potatoes. If they’re very large, cut them in half first so they’re easier to handle.
2. Place a potato horizontally on the cutting board, so that one of the long sides is facing you.
3. Slice the potato in half vertically, then slice each half in half again. You should now have four long, narrow potato wedges.
4. Turn each wedge so that it is lying flat on the cutting board, then slice it into thin strips.
5. Finally, cut the strips into small cubes. If necessary, trim off any uneven pieces so that all of your cubes are about the same size.
Cutting potatoes into cubes is a common preparation step for many recipes. Whether you’re roasting them, frying them, or using them in a stew or soup, getting the perfect dice can be crucial. And while it might seem like a simple task, there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. With our step-by-step guide, you’ll be cubing potatoes like a pro in no time!
Here’s what you’ll need:
-A sharp knife
-A cutting board
-1 potato per person (more or less depending on your needs)
First, wash your potato (or potatoes) thoroughly. There’s no need to peel them unless the recipe you’re using calls for it. Cut off any bad spots or blemishes, then dry the potato with a clean towel.
Next, cut the potato in half width-wise so that you have two long pieces. Cut each of those pieces in half length-wise so that you now have four long pieces.
Now it’s time to start cubing! First, make ½ inch cuts along the length of each piece of potato. Then, make ¼ inch cuts perpendicular to those first ones so that you have a grid of small cubes. Finally, cut each cube off of the potato piece by slicing through the grid. If your knife is sharp enough, you should be able to do this in one smooth motion. Repeat with all of your potato halves until all of your potatoes are cubed.
And that’s it! You now know how to cut potatoes into cubes like a pro. With this simple technique, you’ll be able to prep your potatoes perfectly for any dish.
Tips and Tricks
Potatoes are an versatile root vegetable that can be used in a wide variety of dishes. They can be boiled, baked, roasted, mashed, or fried. One of the most common ways to prepare potatoes is to cut them into cubes. This can be done easily with a few tips and tricks.
Here are some tips and tricks for how to cut potatoes into cubes:
-Start with a sharp knife. A sharp knife will make it easier to cut through the tough skin of the potato and will also help you to avoid accidents.
-Cut the potato in half lengthwise first. This will make it easier to cut into smaller pieces later on.
-If you want perfectly even cubes, use a ruler or measuring cup to measure out each one. Otherwise, you can just eyeball it.
-Once you have your potato pieces cut into cubes, you can cook them however you like!
Proper potato preparation is key to making a great dish. This guide provides simple, step-by-step instructions on how to cut potatoes into cubes. With a little practice, you’ll be able to perfect your potato cubes in no time!