Learn how to cut a whole chicken in half with this step-by-step guide. Plus, find out the best way to store and cook chicken halves for maximum flavor.
Checkout this video:
Supplies You Will Need
Cutting a whole chicken in half may seem daunting, but it is actually quite simple once you have the right supplies. All you need is a whole chicken, a sharp knife, a cutting board, and some kitchen twine. With these supplies, you can easily cut a whole chicken in half. Let’s get started.
A Whole Chicken
A sharp chef’s knife: A 6-inch to 8-inch chef’s knife is the best tool for this job. You could also use a serrated knife, but it will be more difficult to get a clean cut through the chicken.
Cutting board: Use a cutting board that is large enough to fit the whole chicken on it, so you have plenty of space to work.
Whole chicken: You can use a fresh or frozen whole chicken for this recipe. If your chicken is frozen, make sure it is thawed completely before you start cutting it in half.
A Sharp Knife
A sharp knife is the most important tool you will need to cut a chicken in half. A dull knife can slip and cause serious injury. A sharp knife will make clean, precise cuts and is much safer to use.
You will also need a cutting board. It is important to use a cutting board that is sturdy and will not slide around while you are cutting. A flexible cutting board can be helpful because it can be bent to fit over the sink for easy cleanup.
Finally, you will need a clean, comfortable work space. Make sure all of your ingredients and supplies are within reach before you start cooking.
A Cutting Board
A cutting board is the base for all your kitchen food prep. If you don’t have a cutting board, use a large plate or even a clean counter top. Place the chicken breast side up on the cutting board. Having the chicken breast side up will give you more stability when cutting.
Steps to Cutting a Whole Chicken in Half
If you’re looking to cut a whole chicken in half, there are a few steps you’ll need to follow. First, you’ll need to remove the chicken’s backbone. Next, you’ll need to cut through the breastbone. Finally, you’ll need to cut the chicken in half at the joint connecting the thighs and breast. Let’s get started.
Place the chicken breast side up on the cutting board.
Start by placing the chicken breast side up on the cutting board. You want to make sure that the chicken is stable before you start cutting, so it may be helpful to put a few plates or towels under the cutting board to keep it from sliding around.
With a sharp knife, make a cut along one side of the chicken’s breastbone, starting at the neck and going all the way down to the tail. You can go slowly at first to make sure you’re cutting in a straight line.
Once you’ve made a cut along one side of the breastbone, turn the chicken over and repeat on the other side. This will remove the chicken’s breastbone completely.
Next, cut through the center of the chicken’s midsection, from front to back. At this point, you should be able to easily pull the two halves of the chicken apart.
Find the breastbone of the chicken and make a cut along each side of it.
To cut a whole chicken in half, you’ll need a sharp knife and a cutting board. Start by finding the breastbone of the chicken and making a cut along each side of it. Then, use your knife to make a cut through the skin and meat down the length of the chicken. Finally, carefully cut through the connective tissue holding the two halves of the chicken together.
Turn the chicken over so that the back is facing up.
Place the chicken on a cutting board, breast side down. Use a sharp knife to cut through the skin and meat along both sides of the spine. Cut as close to the spine as possible.
With your hands, snap the backbone in half to separate it from the chicken. You can also use kitchen shears to cut through the tough connective tissue.
Turn the chicken over so that the back is facing up. Use your knife to make a horizontal cut through the center of the breastbone, splitting the chicken in half. Again, be sure to cut as close to the breastbone as possible. You should now have two halves of a chicken!
Make a cut along each side of the backbone.
1. Use poultry shears or a sharp knife to make a cut along each side of the backbone of the chicken. You can also ask your butcher to do this for you.
2. Discard the backbone or save it to make chicken stock.
3. Place the chicken breast side up on a cutting board. Use your hands to press down on the breast bone to flatten the chicken.
4. Use a sharp knife to make a cut down the center of the chicken breast, being careful not to cut through the skin.
5. Cut through the thighs and legs so that they are all attached to one half of the chicken body.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 with the other half of the chicken.
Flip the chicken over so that the breast side is up again.
Now that you have removed the backbone, it’s time to cut the chicken in half! To do this, simply flip the chicken over so that the breast side is up again. You should now be able to see two well-defined breasts. Place your knife in the center of the chicken and allow it to slide down until you reach the cavity. Slowly begin cutting through the center of the chicken until you have reached the other side. Congrats, you have now cut a whole chicken in half!
Press down on the chicken so that it lays flat.
Cutting a whole chicken in half is a great way to get two meals out of one chicken. It’s also a great way to save money at the grocery store. To cut a whole chicken in half, you will need:
-1 whole chicken
-1 sharp knife
-1 cutting board
-1 set of poultry shears (optional)
Here are the steps to cutting a whole chicken in half:
1. Press down on the chicken so that it lays flat. This will make it easier to cut through the breastbone.
2. Place your knife along the center of the breastbone and, using a sawing motion, start to cut through the bone.
3. Once you have cut through the breastbone, you will need to separate the two halves of the chicken. You can do this by either using your hands or poultry shears. If using your hands, simply pull the two halves apart. If using poultry shears, insert the blades into the flesh of the chicken and cut through until you reach the other side. Be careful not to cut yourself!
4. And that’s it! You’ve now successfully cut a whole chicken in half!
Cut the chicken in half along the center of the breast.
1. Place the chicken breast side up on a cutting board. Find the center of the chicken breast and make a length-wise cut through the center, starting at the neck end and cutting towards the bottom of the chicken.
2. Cut through the ribs on each side of the chicken breast to separate them.
3. Using a sharp knife, make a small cut through the skin that connects the two halves of the chicken breast.
4. Pull each half of the chicken breast away from the other until they are completely separated.
Congratulations, You Have Cut a Whole Chicken in Half!
Now that you have two perfectly cooked halves of chicken, it is time to enjoy your meal! Be sure to save the bones and scraps to make homemade chicken stock, or use them in another recipe. If you are not planning on eating both halves right away, be sure to refrigerate or freeze one half for later. Enjoy!