If you need to cut a mirror, you’ll want to follow these steps to ensure a clean, precise cut. With a few tools and a little patience, you can easily cut a mirror to size.
Checkout this video:
learning how to cut a mirror is a great way to update the look of your home without spending a lot of money. Mirrors can be used to create the illusion of more space in small rooms, or to reflect light and brighten dark corners. They’re also an important part of many home décor projects.
Whether you’re looking for a new bathroom mirror, want to replace a damaged mirror, or are just trying your hand at do-it-yourself home improvement,
This guide will teach you how to cut a mirror safely and efficiently. With a few simple tools and a little know-how, you can customize mirrors to suit your unique style.
What You Will Need
A sharp utility knife with a new blade
A straight edge (a long level or a length of wood will work)
A steady hand
1. Before you begin, make sure you have the proper safety equipment. You will need a pair of safety glasses and a dust mask to protect your eyes and lungs from debris.
2. Measure the area where you want to cut the mirror. Use a tape measure to get an accurate measurement, then mark the spot with a piece of chalk.
3. Cut a piece of cardboard or other sturdy material to use as a template. Trace the outline of your mirror onto the template.
4. Place the template onto the mirror and use a sharp utility knife to score along the line you traced. Apply even pressure as you Score the surface of the mirror; don’t press too hard or you might crack the mirror.
5. Once you’ve scored the entire outline of your cut, remove the template and hold the mirror up to a light source. You should be able to see your score line clearly.
6. Carefully snap the mirror along your score line. Place your thumbs on either side of the score line and press evenly until the mirror snaps cleanly in two pieces.
7 If necessary, use a fine-grit sandpaper to smooth any rough edges on your newly cut mirror
After you have cut the mirror to the desired shape and size, you will need to clean and polish the edges. You can use a variety of products for this, including sandpaper, a chamois cloth, furniture polish, or even toothpaste. Once you have completed this step, your mirror will be ready to hang!