Japanese blades are popular for being ruthlessly sharp and well-made, and the Kiritsuke knives are no exception. Though these Kiritsuke knives might not yet be staples in most western kitchens and restaurants, they're not knives to ignore. As foods from different cultures become a globally shared experience, we also start borrowing one another's best food prepping methods. Therefore, whether you're a professional chef, an aspiring chef looking for an exceptionally styles chef's knife or someone learning to make different recipes at home, the time has come to buy yourself the best Kiritsuke knife for a great kitchen experience.
What's a Kiritsuke Knife?
The Kiritsuke knife is a multi-use Japanese blade that you can use as an Usuba (vegetable knife) or a Yanagi (fish slicer). These sword-like blades usually have been single-bevel, and professional chefs use them as a form of status. Lately, however, some double-bevel knife models are now available on the market. These knives provide the aesthetic appeal of the regular Kiritsuke, though with the added versatility of a double-bevel edge.
Kiritsuke knives are made out of Damascus steel or high-carbon stainless steel. They come with sharp edges, which require regular sharpening. Also, they're statement knives, immediately recognizable by their straight blade with its sword-like edge. Besides, these knives have multiple functions. The knives were traditionally used to prepare Japanese cuisine, but they're a versatile tool that can do everything Western-style knives do.
Therefore, you can use this versatile knife for;
- Slicing fish when making sashimi and sushi
- Slicing meat
- Dicing vegetables
Besides, the Kiritsuke knife is a razor-sharp blade you must use with skill. This is why the blade has often been thought of as a master's chef's knife blade, mainly used in professional kitchens. However, any home chef can benefit from these Japanese knives with guidance and regular practice. With practice, this Japanese knife will feel as comfortable in your hand as your western style chef knife does.
Are kiritsuke knifes better?
Buy on Amazon
Now that we know what Kiritsuke knife is and what they're used for let's look at the best Kiritsuke knife models on the market that are worth your investment.
1. Zelite Infinity 9-Inch Kiritsuke Chef Knife
- SAMURAI BLADES – BE THE ULTIMATE SUSHI CHEF: Scary Sharp this Long 9” Traditional Japanese Style flatter belly blade is Perfect for Chopping Veggies, Trimming Beef, Skinning and Slicing Fish and so much More! Asian Gyutou Kitchen Blades that won’t let you down Serving your Culinary Needs providing You a Superior Experience! Butcher like an Executive Pro! Set in Ultra Premium Packaging
- PREMIUM JAPANESE STEEL – BUILT TO LAST: Imported Japan AUS10 Super Steel with 67-layer High Carbon Stainless Steel, Tsunami Rose Damascus Pattern, Liquid Nitro Cooling giving an Incredible Rockwell Hardness HRC 61. What this means for you - You get Sharpness, Edge Retention PLUS Stain and Rust Resistance so you can cut Veggies to Meat with minimal Prep time giving you more time to enjoy the Family meal
- STUNNING TRIPLE RIVETED, ROUNDED HANDLE: This is what Differentiates Zelite Knives from the Competition – Our Handles Were Built with YOU in mind! A Top Military Grade G10 Black Handle Triple Riveted to the Forged Full Tang for Extra Strength & Durability, Tastefully Adorned with the Zelite Infinity Classic 3-Metal Mosaic Rivet. Ergonomically Designed -ROUNDED- Handles to ensure a Secure and Comfortable Grip! RARE Tapered Bolster for Extreme Comfort, Perfect Balance!
- UNRIVALED PERFORMANCE, RUTHLESSLY SHARP: Hand Finished using the Traditional 3-Step Honbazuke Method this 9-Inch Gyuto has an Incredible 12 degree pro razor edge per Side, Mirror Polished Cutting Angle Ensuring Maximum Sharpness & Safety, Effortless Slicing of Meat, Fish – Sushi, Vegetable, Fruit and more, bringing Excitement back to Cooking. Premier Razor Sharpness Ensures your Slicing Cutting / Chopping Motion is done Effortlessly!
- 100% SATISFACTION or MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - TRY IT RISK FREE: Lifetime Warranty against Manufacturing Defects (only if purchased direct from 'Zelite Infinity' - check item is "sold by Zelite-Infinity"). Our Chef Knifes have been built with Perfection in Mind. Ideal Multipurpose Cutlery Gift (Christmas, Weddings, Birthdays, Fathers Day, Mothers Day), for Home Cooks, Professional Chef’s, Culinary Students and more. You can't lose. Limited Supply, Order Now before they are Sold Out!
If you're looking for one of the best budget Kiritsuke chef knives, count on the Zelite Infinity. This knife will offer you all the benefits of a premium knife within an affordable price tag. Besides, the 9" blade of the knife is crafted with Japanese AUS-10 steel to bring you a high-end service in the kitchen. Also, the knife features a 61 HRC rating making it suitable for heavy-duty tasks. So from veggies to meats, you can use them for any item without hesitation.
The blade is crafted with 67 layers of high carbon stainless steel, so it won't be prone to chipping. In addition, the handle is made with a full-tang that offers you maximum steadiness in any condition. So, if you're an amateur or new in the kitchen, you can get it for an optimal experience.
Furthermore, the blade comes with incredible edge retention; therefore, you don't have to sharpen it regularly. You can slice and cut lots of ingredients with it, though it won't be dull that easily. This Kiritsuke Chef's knife is everything for a great kitchen experience, from a splendid HRC rating to a military-grade handle.
2. DALSTRONG 8.5-Inch Kiritsuke Chef Knife
- The Ultimate Chef's Knife: A Dalstrong culinary revolution combining outstanding and craftsmanship, cutting-edge breakthrough technology, awe-inspiring design
- Unrivaled Performance: Ruthlessly sharp blade hand finished to a mirror polish at 8-12° using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method. Nitrogen cooled for enhanced harness, flexibility and corrosion resistance. Full tang and triple riveted
- An ultra sharp AUS-10V Japanese super steel rated at 62+ Rockwell hardness: extraordinary performance and edge retention. Dalstrong's stunning 'tsunami-rose' genuine Damascus: 67 layers of high-carbon stainless steel, cleans easily
- A Chef Knife Engineered to Perfection: The ultra-G10 handle is military grade with long durability. Carefully hand polished, the ergonomic handle shape is engineered for hand control, agility and comfort. Hand-polished blade spine for smooth handling
Dalstrong Kiritsuke Knife features seamless construction to make your kitchen time delightful, even if you're new at this. This hand-finished blade has an 8 to 12-degree angle on either side that can smoothly cut any food item. However, you need to handle the sharp, cutting edge carefully. Besides, this chef knife is made with AUS-10V Japanese steel, so you won't have to worry about any damages for a very long time. Also, the blade edge can cut through anything, which is comforting if you're dedicated to the culinary world.
Furthermore, the Dalstrong Kiritsuke Knife features a precisely tapered blade; therefore, foods won't stick t the surface. It also has several Damascus layers which prevent corrosion or other damages in the long run. This chef knife has earned more than a 62 Rockwell Hardness rating guarantying the supremacy of this kitchen tool.
The riveted military-grade handle on this knife offers the ideal balance to the entire knife. So, you can comfortably work with it for long hours, and the smooth handling experience will help you improve your kitchen skill. Besides, from the hand-finished spine to premium-grade material, this knife has everything you can ask for.
3. Shun Premier TDM0771, 8"Kiritsuke Kitchen Knife
- MASTER CHEF'S KNIFE: Known as a master chef's knife, the Shun 8-inch Premier Kiritsuke Knife offers top cutting performance and versatility – making it a perfect all-around prep knife.
- ALL-AROUND PREP: This Japanese kitchen knife will juliene, dice or brunoise vegetables with ease. It's an excellent choice for cleaning and portioning boneless proteins with a slightly curved edge that works well with rocking cuts.
- HIGH-QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Constructed from Shun's proprietary VG-MAX cutting core and clad in 68 layers of stainless Damascus with a hammered TUSCHIME finish, this knife is corrosion and stain resistant with a strong, razor-sharp edge.
- BEAUTIFUL, DURABLE HANDLE: The walnut-finished, contoured Pakkawood handle resists moisture, is comfortable to use, and offers precise control.
- TRADITIONAL, ARTISAN CUTLERY: Inspired by the traditions of ancient Japan, Shun knives are handcrafted by highly skilled artisans to produce blades of unparalleled quality and beauty.
The Shun Premier Kiritsuke Kitchen Knife comes with a straight-edge blade. Therefore, you can use it for any kitchen task, such as slicing raw fish, making it an excellent tool with a combination of beauty and price. Besides, the knife is made with an ergonomic double-bevel construction allowing you to enjoy improved durability and reliability while chopping tricky ingredients. Also, thanks to the clad dimples on the entire blade, no more sticky foods on your knife.
The knife features a durable blade made with top-tier stainless steel construction. Also, the stainless steel corrosion-free material relief you from regular maintenance. Conversely, the Pakkawood handle is comfortable to hold. It usually offers you a great balance and secure grip that will help you improve your knife skill. It doesn't matter if you are righty or lefty; it will never restrict your motion.
4. KATSU Kiritsuke Chef Knife, 8-inch
- Kiritsuke knives are the true multipurpose knives in Japanese cutlery, it is one of the most versatile and essential of all knives a cook can have
- A traditional Japanese convex grind (Hamaguri-ba) damascus blade that excels in sharpness, durability and ease of sharpening Handcrafted octagonal ebony wood handle with buffalo horn bolster is lightweight and ergonomically welds to the hand for seamless use
- Handcrafted octagonal ebony wood handle with buffalo horn bolster is lightweight and ergonomically welds to the hand for seamless use
- Each KATSU kitchen chef knife comes with a dark walnut wood magnetic saya style sheath, which is convenient when carrying out field activities
- An exquisite KATSU gift box with unique patterns offers you the perfect gift idea for Christmas, Weddings, Birthdays, Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, etc.
Katsu Kiritsuke Chef Knife comes with an 8-inch blade that easily slices and cuts everything. In addition, the blade is made with a bolster to enhance safety, so if you become a bit careless, you won't have to worry about hurting yourself. Also, thanks to the convex grind design that allows you to cut anything without a struggle. This 8-inch Kiritsuke knife is ideal for any ingredient, from veggies to meat.
Besides, the 67 Damascus layers ensure that the blade will hold onto its integrity for a long period. This chef's knife features a lightweight wooden handle with an ergonomic octagonal shape. It perfectly fits your hand; hence, you can cut and slice things for hours long without feeling any pain. Additionally, the knife includes a wooden sheath to ensure you stay protected all the time.
5. Shun Dual Core VG0017 Kiritsuke Knife, 8-Inch
- 8-inch Kiritsuke is known as a master's knife in Japan; Kiritsuke knives are the only true multipurpose knives in Japanese cutlery
- 71 alternating micro layers of VG10 & VG2, high-carbon, high-chromium stainless steel
- Dual Core construction; both steels go all the way to the edge; wear at different speeds to create micro serrations
- The blade is light, thin, and strong; Shun's sharpest edge yet; retains sharpness longer due to micro serrations created
- Featuring traditional Japanese octagon-shaped handles in ebony PakkaWood
On most Kiritsuke knife reviews, you won't miss this Shun Dual Core VG0017 Kiritsuke Knife. The knife comes with a blade length of 8 inches made with HC stainless steel. It allows you to slice or cut items all day long without getting exhausted. Besides, it has VG2 and VG10 steel microlayers to cut through without struggling. Although the blade is hard-wearing, it's lightweight, and as a result, you can work with it for long hours without hurting your fingers.
Moreover, the blade is made with an ideal 16-degree angle, so you can slice and cut everything with precision, even though you're an amateur. Also, the blade has a sharp edge; thus, you don't have to sharpen it regularly. The knife also features a large bolster that has perfect balance and safety. With this Kiritsuke chef knife, you can make aggressive moves without hurting yourself.
The 8-inch Kiritsuke knife is designed with an ergonomic Pakkawood to handle that's very comfortable to hold. You can use whatever style you prefer. Therefore, when you're looking for a reliable lightweight knife for your kitchen, you can count on this model.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Kiritsuke Knife
1. Blade material
Before buying the best Kiritsuke knife, pay attention to the material used to make the blade. The most common materials in kitchen knives include X50CrMoV and VG10 AUS10 etc. The materials will largely affect how long your knife can be sharp, your knifes' sharpness and how perfectly it can withstand corrosion.
2. Handle materials
Still on material, perfect handle material will encourage the user and knife perfect balance. The option of handle material for a single-edged knife is a personal preference, with many available types. However, the most popular include stabilized wood and Pakkawood, including color or ebony woods from plants native only in Asia, such as Ipoh lei sum flower, which can take about three months to two years before growing again.
When shopping for the best Kiritsuke knife, you will come across several designs that you need to choose from. For instance, ergonomic handle designs can make people feel less tired when they use a knife for a long period since it is easier on your hands than other regular wooden or metal handles.
Besides, modern tools offer excellent styling like laser engraving, which usually creates wave patterns onto stainless steel blades, while hand-forging creates Damascus patterns from different steels. All these crafts create works of art common among collectors looking at purchasing one specific type.
Another factor to consider before buying the best Kiritsuke knife is its sharpness. Japanese knives are usually made of high carbon steel and come with superior quality to European blades. The quality of a Kiritsuke knife's blade depends on its sharpness. A poorly-maintained kitchen knife won't offer the best experience when cutting food, meaning you may not enjoy preparing your meal as much since it will be hard and uncomfortable doing so with such blunt equipment in hand.
Rockwell hardness Scale usually measures how hard steel should be, relying on what type: 56HRC for Japanese blade models that require durability-though still need flexibility. 62 HRCs if we focus on European-style knives made from Germain steel instead of high carbon steels normally used by Western chefs because of their maximum edge retention properties.
Last but not least, check out the price of these Kiritsuke knives. Of course, different craftsmanship and materials call for different prices; however, the ultimate choice for your Kiritsuke knife depends on how much you are willing to spend on the knife.
Step on How to Use a Kiritsuke Knife Safely?
The Kiritsuke blades feature razor-sharp edges; therefore, we recommend being careful and ensuring you follow safety measures when handling them. Here are some steps to help prevent any accidents:
Step 1: Pinch grip
The pinch grip is one of the best methods for operating Kiritsuke knives. This technique refers to holding on to your knife's handle and then placing your index finger or thumb onto the base, which will add some additional control when saucing foods with this specific type of knife.
Step 2: Sword-like tip
Use the sword-like tip to go down on your cutting board for making them fresh and thin cuts.
Step 3: The up and down motion
Moving the knife up and down is ideal for cutting, slicing, and chopping your vegetables and meats.
Step 4: Less rocking
Pull the blade up toward then push it down away from yourself rather than rocking.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Kiritsuke Knives
1. At what angle should sharpen Kiritsuke knives
Kiritsuke knives are usually made up of soft and hard steel, so the knives require to be sharpened at a very small angle. The normal cutting edge of a Kiristuke knife is 30°. Therefore to sharpen the knife, it should be between 15 degrees.
2. Can you put a Kiritsuke knife in the dishwasher?
Avoid washing Kiritsuke knives in the dishwasher since it can damage the edges and fade the blade. In addition, inside the dishwasher machine, the blade edge might get damaged due to exposure to powerful detergents and extreme heat. Instead, we recommend washing the knives with warm water then dry them thoroughly with a kitchen towel.