A great sword makes a great warrior and outlives the warrior, and so does a great knife to a chef. Cleaver knives are a huge part of your kitchen accessories that you need for smooth cooking. Chopping meat is one of the main things you will be doing as a cook. Luckily, the Japanese cleaver knives exist to make our lives as chefs easier and more fun. Japanese knives have always had a special place in chefs' hearts, and so does the Japanese meat cleaver. Once you put your hands on the best Japanese cleaver knives, your cooking experience will never be the same again, and you will never want to use other cleaver knives again.
What is a Cleaver knife?
Meat cleavers are knives used to cut through meat and tough bone. The bone is an integral part of any meat dish, and cutting through it is difficult using the normal kitchen knife. Different knives are made for specific purposes in the kitchen, and the cleaver knife holds one of the major roles in the kitchen. The cleaver knife does more than chop through the meat. Some cleaver knives have a side that you can use to tenderize meat.
A cleaver knife can be heavy or lightweight. A lightweight knife is used for a gentler approach to meat and vegetables. And yes, there exists a vegetable cleaver knife. However, Cleaver knives are not meant for only cutting meat.
So, why the Japanese cleaver? The Japanese have been known to have the best blades in the world since time immemorial. The Japanese produce knives with sharp blades from the samurai sword to the chef's knife. So, you can be sure that a Japanese knife will have a durable blade. Even better, there exists a Japanese vegetable cleaver for your other needs that do not involve meat. The vegetable knife is just as impressive as the meat cleaver, with a super sharp blade and a strong body. We will look at the best Japanese cleavers to revolutionize your kitchen experience.
Which is the best japanese cleaver?
Buy on Amazon
Best Japanese Cleaver
1. DALSTRONG Meat cleaver
- Powerhouse Knife. Masterfully elegant, perfectly balanced, razor sharp and with exceptional performance, the Phantom Series knife is a statement in refinement, beauty, purity and power.
- Peak Performance: Mercilessly sharp, the Phantom Series edge is painstakingly honed by experts craftsman to 13-15° and nitrogen cooled for enhanced hardness, flexibility and corrosion resistance. Carefully tapered for minimal drag, the agile blade ensures swift, precise cuts with effortless ease. Hollow ground for even less resistance.
- The Dalstrong Touch: Full tang and precision forged from a single piece of ice tempered, high-carbon, Japanese AUS-8 steel at 58+ Rockwell hardness, the Phantom Series boasts exceptional sharpness, edge retention, strength and durability. Beautifully engraved, the blade further features a hand polished spine and ergonomic bolster shape for a natural and smooth ‘pinch grip’.
- Design Perfection: A velvety rich black Spanish pakkawood handle is hand polished and laminated to ensure a heaven like grip with exceptional durability. The traditional Japanese D-shaped handle is expertly engineered to tuck perfectly into the palm of your hand for ultimate control, cut after cut, while the narrow blade design allows for maneuverability and nimble movement like never before. A distinct mosaic pin of brass and copper adds refinement and subtle luxury.
- Dalstrong Trust: Rocksolid 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk free. LIFETIME WARRANTY against defect. Renowned Dalstrong customer service and packaging. See why chef's around the world trust and love, 'The Dalstrong Difference'. Now you are slicing with POWER. Dalstrong POWER!
DALSTRONG is a well-known brand in the knife world. Many professional chefs use Dalstrong in their kitchens, and for valid reasons. The DALSTRONG meat cleaver is made of Japanese high carbon stainless steel, and you are guaranteed that the meat cleaver will serve you for the longest time to come. The knife has a razor-sharp blade that will slice through meat and bone as though it is butter. DALSTRONG has the best cleaver knives, just as they do other knives. However, you will get the most precise cuts with the DALSTRONG meat cleaver, an affordable cleaver for its capabilities.
2. TUO Nakiri Vegetable cleavers
- VERSATILE KNIFE: TUO 6.5'' usuba knife is a traditional Japanese knife for working with vegetables and agro-food, perfect for kitchen needs such as shredding carrots, cutting tomatoes, dicing onions, chopping melons, or peeling avocados, this nakiri knife is perfect for busy kitchens.
- SUPER STEEL: Adopted German High-carbon Stainless steel, it promises you the blade won’t rust over time in most of the circumstances and easy to resharpen. The steel is precisely processed with high-tech vacuum heat treatment to reach the hardness HRC56±2 for extraordinary performance and edge retention. Most importantly, the edge won’t chip easily.
- PREMIUM PAKKAWOOD HANDLE: The full tang handle is made from our patent-pending high-density Pakkawood composite. Compare to other wood handles, it is way more stable and sanitary. No matter how bad the kitchen environment is, it will be no shrimp, no expansion, no crack, assuring you food safety.
- WELL DESIGNED: From the striking grain of the polished pakkawood (sourced from Africa) handle to the gentle curve of the blade, this is an ergonomic full tang handle design for exceptional comfort and durability. The handle is specifically designed to hold comfortably in your hand with great balance. The bolster of the handle is carefully polished for a perfect pinch grip.
- TUO LIFETIME GUARANTEE: 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk-free. We guarantee a superior product that will give you a lifetime guarantee against manufacturer defects. With the luxury case, it is the wise choice as a gift.
Japanese cleavers are the best cleavers you will ever come across. Something about the Japanese blade puts it ahead of the rest. The excellence with which the Japanese handle their blades is impeccable. TUO Nakiri is a true representation of excellence. The knife is made of German steel, high-carbon stainless steel. The steel will not rust over time, and you do not have to worry so much when storing the blade.
TUO will guarantee precise cuts and chops in the kitchen, making your workflow easy and enjoyable. The ergonomic handle will make you untouchable in the kitchen. You can use the side of the blade to transfer the ingredients into the cooking pan. Buy TUO Nakiri today and experience Japanese excellence.
3. KEEMAKE Meat Cleaver Butcher Knife
- 【Premium Material】Forged of 67 Layers AUS-10 Japanese Damascus Steel, this 7 inch Chinese Meat&Vegetable Cleaver features extraordinary artistic creativity and incomparable cutting performance. It's unique hammered pattern makes the Chinese chef knife incomparable in non-stick knife function.
- 【Exquisite Production Techniques & Experienced craftsmanship】From a High-tech Heating Treatment, cooling to hand honing, each chef knife goes through at least 50 steps to gain strength and hardness as of (60±2 HRC) and their blades are honed at a perfect angle to make every cut smooth and precise.
- 【Ergonomic Handles-Exceptionally Comfortable】Resistant to heat, cold and moisture, every knife handle is constructed from premium-quality Pakkawood. With right weight and proper design and being riveted to add stability and strength, the ergonomic wooden Handles bring good hand control, agility and comfort.
- 【For HOME CHEFS & PROFESSIONALS】Expertly crafted with a perfect blade angle, this KEEMAKE cleaver knife, specially designed for boneless meat and vegetable, cuts with ease and efficiency and is the first choice of both home chefs and professionals alike.
- 【Only Real Japanese Damascus Steel】Keemake factory is based in Yangjiang, China, and we only import premium Damascus steel from Japan. With 100% confidence in our chef knives, we welcome our customer to send the knives to any identification institutions to check and identify knife material and quality.
KEEMAKE is a hammered finish Japanese cleaver knife that is exceptional in many ways. The knife has a super steel blade that will slice through meat without a moment's hesitation. You can count on KEEMAKE to give you a comfortable run with its ergonomic handle and comfortable quality. The knife is made for professional and home use, making every meal timely and well prepared. KEEMAKE is heat and cold-resistant, making the knife durable. You do not have to worry much about moisture as the knife does well in such conditions.
4. KYOKU Samurai Series
- SUPERIOR STEEL - Manufactured with an ultra-sharp, cobalt-added, and cryogenically treated steel cutting core, this 7 in. Japanese cleaver boasts unrivaled performance and incredible edge retention.
- ERGONOMIC & WELL-BALANCED - The ergonomically designed blade helps alleviate fatigue and finger pains from long periods of slicing or chopping, perfectly blending performance and comfort.
- DURABLE HANDLE - The meticulously constructed, triple-riveted Pakkawood handle has gone through special treatment, making it extremely impervious to heat, cold, and moisture; accented with a mosaic pin.
- EXTREME SHARPNESS - The ruthlessly sharp edge is handcrafted by seasoned artisans to a mirror polish at 13-15° per sided using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method; cryogenically treated for incredible hardness, flexibility, and corrosion resistance.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - Our knives come with a lifetime warranty, and we offer free exchange or return if the item is defective.
The blade of the Samurai is the greatest that was ever wielded, and you get a chance to wield it too. KYOKU is an incarnation of Japan's great blade history, and you can keep the spirit with you every time you hold the knife to use it. The knife has a cryogenically treated steel core for additional strength. The knife has great edge retention, making it great for use in the kitchen for long periods. You do not have to worry every time you hold the Japanese meat cleaver in the kitchen with a lifetime warranty.
5. Global Meat Cleaver
- Square-bladed meat cleaver designed to butcher and cut through bones
- Constructed entirely of stainless steel, bolsterless design for full edge Use
- Lightweight for agility, blade measures 6-1/2 inches, hand washing preferred
Global is the meat cleaver to beat them all. The cleaver is designed to cut through bones without a moment's hesitation. You can slice through meat easily with a sharp blade, making your work a breeze in the professional kitchen. The knife is constructed entirely of stainless steel, making the balance incredible and ergonomics. In addition, the knife has a lightweight body, increasing your agility in the kitchen. Buy Global today and have one thing in common with the most professional kitchens worldwide.
How to Choose A Japanese Cleaver
The knife's handle is what will put you in your element as a chef or ruin your moment in the kitchen. The knife handle is your point of interaction with the knife, and it makes your work easier if the handle fits just right. The blade handle has been a big deal in Japanese blade history. There have been many improvements and evolution on the blade handle for thousands of years. This emphasis on how good the blade handle should be is not futile.
Choosing a good handle will make the knife safe to use in the kitchen. If you choose a poor handle, the chances of getting a slip are increased, and your speed is greatly reduced. When buying a knife, you want to test it thoroughly by trying it out and holding it to see if it fits just right. There is hardly any way around it. Luckily, Japanese meat cleavers are made with the greatest care and experience compared to other meat cleavers.
The handle material matters a lot because of what the knife does. The knife is meant to cut through bone sometimes, which means there will be thumping and hitting going on. If the handle is made of wood or any other material, the chances of the handle cracking are highly increased. However, the Japanese cleaver features a handle that will not break easily or crack out of nowhere. An ergonomic polymer handle can do just fine when using a Japanese cleaver.
b) Blade Length
The blade length will affect your speed in the kitchen. A very short blade will be a bit difficult to swing and tend to stick on the bone when trying to cut through. A short blade does not have enough momentum when mincing meat or cutting through meat fast. A long blade is too clumsy to use and may be cumbersome. You have other things on the countertop that you are working within the kitchen, and a long blade is not the best thing to have lying around. Unless you are a butcher, you do not need a large meat cleaver that will fill up your space for no reason. Get the right cleaver for your space and kitchen.
c) Blade Size
The cleaver has a rectangular blade for a reason. The primary reason for the shape is to add more weight and give the cleavers more advantage when trying to cut through meat and bones. The cleavers are heavier and are easier to handle, given their purpose. The blade size coupled with an exceptionally sharp edge will give you a great cleaver knife that you will love using. The large blade comes with a straight edge or a slightly curved edge for fine cutting on the chopping board.
Apart from the sharp edges and the relatively heavy blade, there is more to the Japanese cleaver. For example, when slicing vegetables, you can use the blade to transfer the ingredients into the cooking pan. Therefore, you can have different ingredients on the chopping board, making your work easier and more efficient.
d) Edge Retention
How the knife holds against the elements in the kitchen matters a lot. While the knife might be meant only for meat cutting, you will still need to wash it, use it on vegetables sometimes and keep it. The metal used to make the knife will react differently compared to other metals. Alloy steel or a high carbon stainless steel is great for use on the meat cleaver. You can trust the best Japanese cleaver to last you through many mechanical and chemical cycles. Japanese knives are known to last long while keeping their razor-sharp edge.
A thick blade does not necessarily mean great edge retention. How you handle the knife and the situations you put it through will affect how long it lasts.
The price is a consideration when buying the cleaver knife. A great chef will know that the knife is the greatest investment in the kitchen for chopping vegetables and slicing meat. The best Japanese meat cleavers will certainly be a bit pricey but worth it in the long run. Both meat and vegetable cleavers will serve you well if you make the right choices. Expensive and well-built meat cleavers will have razor-sharp edges and will maintain extremely sharp edges for a long time to come.
Not all knives are extremely costly. However, you can find a great knife at an affordable price and still enjoy using it in your kitchen.
f) Balanced Blade
A balanced blade will be your greatest asset or downfall in a knife. If your knife features a full tang blade, you might achieve a good balance. A knife can have a high carbon stainless steel, a razor-sharp edge, great grip and other features. But, if the balance is off, the knife will not be of much help. Feel the knife before buying it.
g) The Material
The material used to make the knife will be a factor in determining many things. The material will be the difference between a durable knife and a short-lived knife, from how sharp the blade is to how effective each slice is. There are many materials to choose from. You can never run out of options from high carbon steel, German steel, high carbon white steel, Chinese cleaver knife/Kamikoto Chuka Bocho Cleaver, Japanese steel, and more. Some materials can work well with thinner blades, while others will mainly mincing vegetables. Depending on your requirements, you can get a lightweight blade or a thicker blade.
The knife is a great asset to have in the kitchen. If you invest in the right knife, you have invested in your whole kitchen, and your time in it will be well spent. The best Japanese cleaver knife will not only serve your kitchen needs but take your cooking skills to the next level. Japanese cleavers will turn your cooking from a skill to an art.